Thomas’ younger son, George Henry, became a partner in 1778, during the time that the company enjoyed an upsurge in their business.During the early part of the 19th century Witherby & Sons continued to grow their business and by 1810, approximately 30 writers were employed by the firm.
George Henry died in 1805 from a stroke. Earlier that year he had employed his eldest son, George, as an apprentice. Responsibility for the firm was now passed to William, whose son William Henry was employed as a second apprentice. By 1816 William and the two apprentices were partners.
In 1817 William was elected to the Court of the Stationers’ Company, becoming Master for the year 1821-22. He retired in 1834 aged 76, having been with the firm for 62 years.
Witherbys opened a branch office and shop in Westminster in 1838, increasing the amount of parliamentary business the firm dealt with. In 1851 Walter, George’s son, became a partner. In 1853 a lease was taken out on a property that was much better placed for the Inns surrounding the courts.
George retired in 1857 and Walter’s younger brother Henry Forbes joined William Henry and Walter as a partner.
Witherbys acquired a printing business in 1860, a well timed move as in 1862 the Lord Chancellor decreed that all Chancery Affidavits and Depositions were to be printed. Underwriters could now be certain that the published marine insurance clauses were accurate and consistent as print plates were set up.
A year later Walter and William Henry retired leaving Henry Forbes Witherby as sole partner.
The long association with Birchin Lane came to an end when the bankers, Glyns, purchased the property. Witherby’s moved to a larger property in Cornhill that allowed the business to expand.
Typewriters were starting to be used, from 1890, for legal and general work. Henry Forbes obtained exclusive control over the sale of the American ‘Hall’ typewriters, which proved to be a very successful venture.